Promo shot of DJ Disk
|Birth name||Luis Quintanilla|
|Also known as||PhonosycographDISK|
|Origin||San Francisco, California, U.S.|
|Genre(s)|| Hip Hop|
|Years active||1981 - present|
| Associated |
| Giant Robot|
DJ Disk is a San Francisco Bay Area turntablist of Panamanian and Nicaraguan descent. Born Luis Quintanilla on October 7, 1970, in San Francisco, Disk began scratching and mixing vinyl at a young age after listening to Kraftwerk and seeing the first Star Wars movie. Some years later he started competing in DJ battles and doing local shows.
As a founding member of the Invisibl Skratch Piklz, Disk has been an enormously influential DJ and is credited with inventing the 2 Click Orbit and the 2 Click Flare Lazer Orbit.
In addition to extensive hip hop work with the Piklz and other supergroups like El Stew, Disk has collaborated with the likes of Herbie Hancock, Bill Laswell, Buckethead, Les Claypool and Primus, Serj Tankian, Wayne Shorter, Zakir Hussain, Mike Patton, and Jack DeJohnette, among many others, and has toured worldwide. While not on tour, he lives in his hometown of San Francisco where he records and teaches turntablism.
DJ Disk has contributed to more than 70 recordings, and more than 30 DVD releases.
Discography (partial) Edit
- 1997: Marsupial's Belly Flop Breaks (Scarecrow)
- 1998: Phonopsychograph Disk: Ancient Termites
- 1999: Live @ Slim's / Turbulence Chest
- 1999: El Stew: No Hesitation
- 2000: 149 Ways to Smash Paul Simon's Face Breaks (Stray)
- 2001: Phonosychographdisk Vs. The Filthy Ape: Mooch Moose (Stray)
- 2002: Herbie Hancock: Future2Future live
- 2003: El Stew: The Rehearsal
- 2006: Tornado Urine Breaks (Toolz)
- 2007: Shiggar Fragger Show Vol.4 (Anniversary) (DVD, Shiggar Fraggar)